A picture is worth a thousand words… but it could also be worth $100. That’s right, GAIF has brought back the popular Photo Contest as part of the Cultural Building activities.
Rules and Entry Form
The Contest is sponsored by the Great American Irish Festival in collaboration with the Irish Cultural Center of the Mohawk Valley.
The Photo Contest is open to anyone except:
- members of the Board of Directors
- GAIF Committee
- festival sponsors
- prize-sponsoring companies
- judges, and their immediate families
- professional photographers
Only the photographer has the right to submit a photograph, and each entry form must be signed by the photographer. Prizes will be awarded to the photographers.
ENTERING THE CONTEST
- To enter, the contestant may submit up to 3 qualifying photographs taken by him or her. Each entry consists of a single image and an entry form. There is no entry fee.
- An entry form (available here) MUST BE securely taped to the back of EACH photograph submitted, and submissions should be packed with appropriate cardboard stiffeners to protect them. The Great American Irish Festival cannot be held responsible for lost, delayed, damaged or unidentified photos.
- Entries may be submitted to the Great American Irish Festival, Photography Contest, c/o Irish Cultural Center of the Mohawk Valley, 623 Columbia St, Utica, NY 13502, no later than July 17, 2019.
- Photographs submitted will not be returned and become the property of The Great American Irish Festival. By entering the contest, all entrants grant the sponsor the right to reproduce, distribute, display, and create derivative works of the entry (along with a name credit) including, but not limited to: display at GAIF or ICCMV events; publication of select entries; or online publications highlighting entries or winners of the Contest.
- By signing the entry form, the photographer consents to the entry of his or her submission and agrees to abide by the contest rules.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR PHOTOS
- Entries must show an Irish or American-Irish event, activity or location, and must include a person or people. Each photo must be at least 8 inches by 10 inches and no larger than 11 inches by 14 inches and must be mounted and matted; please no frames or glass.
- Entries must be solely the original work of the entrant. Entry must be submitted by a single individual; joint/group entries are ineligible. Entries that have been previously published or won a prize in any other contest are ineligible.
- Montages and composite images are ineligible.
- When photographing the work of others, it must be as an object in its environment and not a full-frame close-up of another person’s art, logo or other copyrighted material.
- If the entry contains any material that contest sponsor and/or its agencies deem, in their sole discretion, to be morally objectionable, inappropriate or unfit, such entry will be disqualified.
TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS FOR PHOTOS
- Entries must be color or black-and-white photographic prints only.
- Winners may be required to submit an original negative, slide or digital file for reproduction purposes.
- Ink-jet computer printouts and color copies will not be accepted. Please provide photos of the highest available resolution and quality.
- Excessive use of digital editing (as determined by sponsor/judges in their sole discretion) is prohibited. Minor digital enhancement is permitted, but images that have been significantly modified will be disqualified.
JUDGING CRITERIA AND WINNER SELECTION/NOTIFICATION
All entries will be displayed in the Cultural Building during the Festival, and festival-goers will vote for their favorite shot. The winners will be announced in the Cultural Building at 3 PM on Sunday, July 28th, 2019 with $100 going to the first place winner, $50 to second place, and $25 to third.
All decisions are final and binding.
Download the entry form.