We could not produce this event without our talented and dedicated volunteers. These guidelines are provided to ensure a smooth-running, successful event:
The Great American Irish Festival, Inc. is a not-for-profit corporation under IRS section 501-c3, qualifying donations and contributions made to it as charitable for tax purposes. This all-volunteer organization was founded for two primary purposes:
- To raise the revenue necessary to establish the Irish Cultural Center of the Mohawk Valley.
- To produce an annual Irish Festival for the promotion and advancement of the Irish culture and entertainment of the public. This festival has been the main means by which funding is to be raised for purpose #1.
This organization will also support of worthy local Irish causes consistent with its two primary purposes. As such, all festival volunteers are asked to keep this mission in mind at all times.
Festival Volunteers who adhere to the guidelines herein ARE entitled to the following benefits:
- Free admission to the entire festival.
- One “STAFF” t-shirt.
- Admission to the volunteer party.
Some commonly-mistaken items which volunteers are NOT entitled to include:
- Free admission for friends and relatives.
- Free beer.
- Free or discounted merchandise.
- Admission to the Hospitality Tent.
- Backstage access.
- Time Amount – We have set a general rule of a minimum of 8 hours of volunteer service over the course of the weekend. Some will earn hours before or after the festival as operational needs dictate.
- Reliability – Venue supervisors are required to prepare work schedules and volunteers are expected to show up to work as agreed in advance. You must sign in and out at your venue.
- Ambassadors all – EVERYONE working as a volunteer at this event is expected to be polite and provide assistance at all times. If you don’t know the answer to a question, find out who does. It is UNACCEPTABLE to say “I don’t know” or “It’s not my job” or “I’m not working” and walk away. Help the person find the answer. Customer service is priority #1.
- Staff apparel – Do NOT wear any staff apparel unless willing to act as detailed above. If you’re not working and wish to partake of an adult beverage(s) please take your volunteer shirt off.
- Theft – Taking or giving away such things as: free beer, merchandise, passes, etc. – is stealing from our non-profit organization and will be dealt with.
- Media – Any media inquiries for interviews should be directed to the Festival Director.
- Stage – Only stage personnel should be in the backstage area.
- Hospitality Tent – Only performers, sponsors, committee, and selected dignitaries have been granted access to this area… not volunteers.
- Security – Should you witness potential problems (hostilities, over-drinking, etc.) do not attempt to handle the situation yourself. Locate GAIF Security personnel or any Festival Committee member.
- Emergency Medical Staff – Make a note of the locations of the EMS station and First Aid station, should the need arise for you to seek medical help for festival goers.
- CASH and TICKETS – In any location where money is being handled, AT NO TIME will any festival money or tickets go into someone’s pocket for any length of time. There will be cash registers and/or cash drawers available for all such locations. Put the bill tendered on top of the drawer until the change is made and accepted by the customer to avoid mistakes or misunderstandings.
- Chain of command – Learn who the Venue Supervisor, Asst. Venue Supervisor and any shift supervisors are in your venue. Go to them first with any questions, issues or concerns. For issues that arise concerning a different venue, seek out the personnel and/or supervisors for that venue.
The festival committee greatly appreciates the effort put forth by the volunteers, without whom we would be unable to put on this event. We hope that the time requirement allows you to enjoy the festival with friends and family. Thank you again for your commitment to making the Great American Irish Festival a success!